Any form of intense exercise is great for weight loss. The best exercise for weight loss for men can be any number of exercises, depending on your own personal preferences.
The key is to choose one that’s challenging enough to burn some calories, but fun enough to be sustainable for the long haul. We have found that High-Intensity Interval Training is a great fit for most men.
Exercises like burpees, squats, and lunges all work perfectly for weight loss.
These exercises work so well that we’ve included many of them in our 24-minute fat burning workout. Check it out if you’re looking for a comprehensive weight loss workout.
The Best Exercise for Weight Loss for Men
The following exercises will help you get slim in no time.
The secret is that these exercises all work multiple muscle groups at a high intensity.
This means trying to maintain 80-90% of your maximum heart rate for the duration of the exercise, even if it only lasts 5 or 10 minutes.
You’ll feel the burn, but this just means it’s working.
The lunge is a great way to improve your balance and core stability, but it’s also a great way to torch some calories while working your hips, quads, hamstrings, and glutes.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your hands resting on your hips.
- Keep your left foot in the same place, but move onto the toe.
- At the same time, step forward with your right foot. The aim is to have your right thigh parallel with the floor.
- Your left leg will bend to allow you to lunge forward. Make sure the knee doesn’t touch the floor.
- Hold this pose for several seconds. Don’t let your knee go past the line of your toe.
- To return to the starting position, push down on your right heel, driving yourself back up.
- Now repeat moving the left leg forward instead.
- When you’re ready, start doing this with dumbbells or kettlebells.
When doing any exercise, the exact amount of calories you burn will depend on the effort you put in and your current body weight.
In general, the heavier you are, the greater your calorific burn will be.
To give you an idea of what you can burn, a 150-pound man will burn approximately 550 calories per hour.
Burpees are known as a fat burning exercise, and they are certainly one of the best exercises for weight loss for men currently available.
This is because they work all of your body and give you a cardio workout at the same time.
But, to maximize the benefits, you need to be doing the exercise properly.
- The starting position is standing up with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Lower yourself into a squat. Your hands should drop to the floor on the outside of your knees, staying in line with your knees and shoulders.
- Don’t forget to rock forward onto your toes as you do this.
- Now jump with your feet, while keeping your hands still. The aim is for you to straighten your leg before your feet touch the ground again, effectively putting you in a wide plank.
- Jump your feet forward again, back to their original position.
- Push yourself back up into the standing position and explode into a jump.
- Your arms should go above your head and clap together.
It’s a good idea to do this exercise slowly to start with. This will ensure you get the form right before you start increasing the speed and really feeling the burn.
Again, based on a 150-pound man, an hour of burpees will allow you to burn between 550-600 calories, assuming you’re managing a pace of 50 calories per minute.
Running Up Hills
Running is a great exercise. It boosts your cardio response and burns calories.
But running up a hill has a similar effect to weight training, particularly on your leg muscles.
Running up hills is also great for increasing calorie consumption.
The best way to tackle a hill is with relaxed shoulders and your elbows slightly back, i.e., don’t bend from the waist. To help encourage correct posture, you should focus on the ground a few feet in front of you.
Try running on flat ground for 15 minutes and then run as fast as you can up the hill for 2 minutes.
After the 2 minutes, jog back to the bottom and repeat.
A 150-pound man, running for an hour, will burn approximately 850 calories in an hour. However, add in the hill training, as outlined above, and you’ll burn an impressive 1,100 calories in the same hour!
The deadlift is often associated with bodybuilders, looking to show off their lifting skills.
However, the deadlift is actually one of those exercises that works almost every muscle in your body.
It particularly targets glutes, lower back, hamstrings, and your quads.
- Start with your feet shoulder width apart, the middle of your feet should be under the barbell bar.
- Now bend, your back should be at a 90° angle to your legs, as your knees bend your back will stay at this angle, approximately 45° from the floor.
- Grasp the barbell. It can be a good idea for one hand to use an overhand grip and the other to go under. This will help ensure you keep hold of the barbell.
- Once your knees are touching the bar, you’re ready to lift.
- Push up with your legs, lifting your chest while straightening your lower back in the process.
- The weight should rise to the middle of your thighs, hold it there for 2-3 seconds before slowly lowering it down to the floor.
- Make sure you reverse the lifting process, keeping everything smooth and in proportion.
- You can now pause before repeating the lift.
It’s not just your weight that will affect the calories you burn deadlifting; the weight of the barbell will also make a difference.
A good estimate for a 150-pound man doing 4 sets of 8 deadlifts, with a 150-pound weight is just 260 calories per hour.
Of course, increasing the weight increases the calorific burn.
But, you’ll also be building muscle, and your body will continue to burn extra calories for several hours after you’ve exercised.
The mountain climber is actually similar to the plank, but you move at the same time! It’s a great full body exercise that can burn some serious calories.
- The starting position is actually the same as the plank. Your feet should be close together, toes on the floor, and your hands should be on the floor under your shoulders, with your arms straight.
- Bring your left knee forward as far as you can without letting it touch the floor.
- Hold for a second and then return to the starting position.
- Repeat with your right knee.
- Focus on keeping your back straight and holding your abs in.
- Now pick up speed!
The faster you do the mountain climbers, the more calories you’ll burn. But, you must keep the correct form.
Of course, the exact number of calories you will burn depends on your weight and the number of climbers you do per minute.
As a general guide, if you weigh 150 pounds, you can burn 10 calories a minute. That’s an impressive 600 calories per hour.
Squats are a great exercise as they can be done at home or anywhere. They can also be easily upgraded to increase the resistance your body faces and boost your results.
All you have to do is get the hang of squatting and then start adding in weights!
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your arms straight out in front of you; this helps to ensure your posture is correct.
- Keeping your back straight, slowly bend your knees until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Pause for a second or two and then push yourself back into the starting position.
Variations include easier starting. Simply sit on a regular chair and stand up without using your hands, then repeat.
You can also convert this to a jump squat. As you return to the starting position, push yourself into the air with a jump that lifts both feet off the ground.
Calories burned will depend on your weight, but a 150lb man would burn approximately 800-850 calories in one hour if you can last that long!
You can increase the weight of the kettlebell to improve this best exercise for weight loss for men.
Just make sure that you’re exhausted when you finish!
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Hold the kettlebell in both hands. You can start with a light one and gradually increase the weight.
- Bend from your hips, and your legs do not need to move. This is critical since you want your hips to act as a hinge. The kettlebell should be between your legs or, better still, it should be just behind your legs with your arms close to your crotch.
- Now swing it upwards, hinging from your hips, until your arms are straight out in front of your chest.
- That’s it. Now return the kettlebell to the starting position and then repeat!
The number of calories you’ll burn will depend on the weight of the kettlebell and the number of swings you do per minute. As a rough guide, completing 10 swings per minute will allow you to burn approximately 200 calories in 10 minutes.
That’s an impressive 1,200 calories in one hour.
Of course, that means will have done something like 600 swings!
Eating Yourself Slim
You can’t out exercise a bad diet.
Yes, you can spend all day exercising and lose weight, even when eating junk food.
But in the long term, junk food will not be good for your health. You’ll be unlikely to keep that level of exercise going for long.
Changing your diet is important to ensure you’re getting all the nutrients you need and not consuming too many calories.
But, adding exercise will burn more calories helping you to lose weight faster.
In fact, the exercises we’ll be looking at will help you to tone muscles. This will help you burn calories long after you’ve finished exercising!
Challenge Yourself With the Best Exercises for Weight Loss
Commit to your new exercises today and challenge yourself to last at least 4 weeks.
Don’t forget to weigh yourself and take your vital measurements. Knowing the measurements for your waist, thighs, chest, and arms will help you to see the changes, even if the scales are deceiving.
Download the free 24-minute workout and take a look at our flagship program, FF30X. The program will give you the support and accountability to keep doing the best exercise for weight loss for men. The results will speak for themselves and will inspire you to keep going.
In fact, if you keep doing these exercises, you’ll not just lose the weight, but you’ll also become an inspiration to others!
Your new friend & health coach,